Tuesday, June 22, 2010

After blooming, when should the bloom stalk of a daylily be cut or pulled from the plant?

You'll enable your reblooming daylilies to bloom more if you cut the stalk (also called the scape) as soon as the flowers on it have finished blooming.





';You can stimulate reblooming daylilies like ';Stella de oro'; to send up more blooms by cutting off her “spent” stalks. ';You should cut the spent stalks off as low as you can get your pruners. Be sure to make a clean cut.


It is also mandatory to cut them off immediately while they are still green. This “tells” the plant that is has lost something viable and it must replace it by sending up more…more flowers!';


http://lifeandlawns.com/2007/07/10/you-c…


http://www.bloomindesigns.com/category/d…





In the past, I waited until the stalks dried %26amp; then pulled them off...


but that was before I got Stella de oro %26amp; my other rebloomers.Now that I know that I can remove the daylilies’ flowering stalk (scape) as soon as all the flowers are finished blooming...and I will be helping them rebloom... I cut off the scape close to ground level as soon as the flowers are gone.





P.S. If I want to hybridize the daylily by propagating it by seed, then I'd leave the stalk on until I've finished harvesting the seedpods (when the seed pods turn brown, and begins to split at the far end).


http://www.farm-garden.com/perennials/da…





Good luck !!! Hope this helps.After blooming, when should the bloom stalk of a daylily be cut or pulled from the plant?
Thought you'd enjoy this article about the removal of stalks from other perennials:


http://www.taunton.com/finegardening/how-to/qa/removal-perennial-stalks.aspx?nterms=74852 Report Abuse
After blooming, when should the bloom stalk of a daylily be cut or pulled from the plant?
Thank you for your comment letting me know this was helpful :)


I really don't think of myself as an expert. I feel more like a life-long learner...


always finding out more or clarifying something that I might have been hazy about.





Happy gardening to you, too :) Report Abuse

You can cut them right after blooming if you like. This will allow the plant to put its energy into the roots instead of trying to make seed heads. You can also wait until they turn brown, which can be unsightly but doesn't hurt the plant. Once brown, they pull out very easily.
let it dry and turn brown. unsightly i know, but that is the way it is. the stalk is ready to be pulled when it easily is pulled out. if it doesn't pull easily, it is not dry enough.
when you can pull it out loosly on it's own.just pull on the stalk and it will come right out.that's the way i do it every yr.
Pull gently. If it is time, the stalk will come out easily.
I just let nature take it's course. The stem will form a ';seed';, then dry up and fall off.
  • credit
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

     
    dry skin