Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Why does every stem on my rosebush have 5 leaves and will not bloom?

What are you doing to aid it's growth? Rose food comes in different types, liquid or dry. You should be using that every couple of months during the blossoming season. Have you pruned them back in the fall? Roses need to be cut back, perhaps not to the ground as I have seen others do, but far enough to get the end of the cut branch to split and grow vigorously again. I also put wood chips around the roots to keep them from drying out in the dry summers, and give them a spray with the triple effect of killing mold, fungus and aphids. I have eleven bushes, various types and colors. You may want to contact the Rose Garden in Portland, Oregon for advice; they have research teams there and they develop new hybrids all the time. My roses have never equaled theirs in beauty or fragrance.Why does every stem on my rosebush have 5 leaves and will not bloom?
My father raises rose bushes and he said this fall trim it all the way down to right above the ground and then in the spring it sould come back with tons of leaves and rosesWhy does every stem on my rosebush have 5 leaves and will not bloom?
Hi. I'm from zone 7, MS. My rose bushes are not blooming either. They did great in the spring, but ever since it heated up...nothing. I agree with the rose famine thing!
You need to prune each branch back to the first growing bud by cutting diagonally about 1/2 inch above the bud.





Do that at the end of your growing season.





Cutting off dead heads helps promote more blooms.





Cut out any dead wood to improve the look and reduce infection.





If a 'sucker' appears right at the base of the plant, pull it off, all the plants energy will go to that and not the flowers.





Good regular feeding helps too, roses are hungry things, a happy rose is a healthy rose, and can fight off infections like black spot, rust spots etc.
My girlfriend and I were discussing our roses just yesterday and she stated that rosebushes can sometimes ';go wild'; and become little more than thornbushes. I would imagine the cutting back mentioned previously would be considered a method of ';re-domesticating'; them.
I don't know,but my two aren't blooming either and neither is my neighbor's,and hers is normally a very profuse bloomer. I guess there is a rose famine going around! Who knows? I know one thing ,it sure is hot enough and sunny enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
dry skin