Tuesday, June 22, 2010

For those who read ';Eight Cousins'; and ';Rose in Bloom';?

Were they written for a younger or older audience? I was on the Barnes and Noble website hoping to order both of them, when I saw they were listed for ages most appropraite for readers 9-12. I don't want to order a book that isn't going to challenge me, and I really don't want to read something that easy (if they truly are so juvenile).





Thanks for the help!For those who read ';Eight Cousins'; and ';Rose in Bloom';?
They are written for a younger audience, though, as an adult, I still enjoy them. Louisa May Alcott's works are usually more complicated than your general run of children's/young adult books, but still they are written so that someone who is 11 or 12 could understand them. (I must admit that I still love ALL of Louisa May Alcott's books - in particular Little Women then Little Men and Jo's Boys.) BTW: I wouldn't call any of Louisa May Alcott's books JUVENILE; they do not lack maturity. In fact most of them deal with some more mature subjects. Rose in Bloom, for instance, is the sequel to Eight Cousins and deals with the grown up version of the children as well as love and romance. You can actually read Eight Cousins online at http://www.online-literature.com/alcott/鈥?/a> and Rose in Bloom at http://www.online-literature.com/alcott/鈥?/a> - I like reading a hard copy myself, but you may not mind online reading. At the very least, you can preview them to see if you'd want to own a copy of each.





If you want something more challenging, may I recommend Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte, Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte or Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier?





If you like a story that follows someone from girlhood to womanhood, you may enjoy Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery. This book (and actually it's part of a series, but Anne of Green Gables can stand alone), though also considered a ';younger audience'; book, is a bit more complex than Eight Cousins.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
dry skin