Thursday, June 24, 2010

I live in zone 9, I'm growing roses(blaze cl., lady banks) what helps with bloom production?

They are both climbers.I live in zone 9, I'm growing roses(blaze cl., lady banks) what helps with bloom production?
all roses must have at least 6 hours of sunshine to bloom well.


Fertilise when required and water well - roses don't like soggy roots so I hope they are in well drained soil





hope they bloom well. I love rosesI live in zone 9, I'm growing roses(blaze cl., lady banks) what helps with bloom production?
Scott's rose food. Maybe MiracleGro.
If you pinch off any smaller buds, the plant puts all the energy into the few you leave on.


And ALWAYS remove dead flowers, at the stem below the start of the flower.
If you are fertilizing them and they still aren't blooming then you need to switch to a fertilizer that has a high middle number i.e. 10-20-10, the middle number is the one that makes blooms produce.
I am so envious of you! I want a Lady Banks. Which one do you have? Rosa Banksia 'Lutea', R. banksiae 'Lutescens', Rosa banksiae 'Alba Plena', or R. banksiae normalis?


Feeding such a large rose will require a bit more than most, like your more moderate Blaze.


I give Blaze Whitneys Organic Rose Food (4-6-2) three times a year; Valentines, Memmorial, %26amp; Labor Day.


Round #1 February 1-15 鈥?100% organic fertilizer @ 2 lbs/100 sq. ft. (i.e. Whitney Farms, Garden-Ville, GreenSense, natural meals %26amp; manure compost


Round #2 June 1-15 鈥?100% organic fertilizer @ 1 lbs/50 sq. ft.


Round #3 September 15-30 鈥?100% organic fertilizer @ 1 lbs/50 sq. ft., Sul-Po-Mag @ 1 lbs/50 sq. ft.


Then to cover trace minerals and growth hormones I fertilize with a root drench of Kelp Fish on May 1, June 1 and July 1. I use Growmore seaweed extract and Alaska庐 Fish Fertilizer 5-1-1 to make this.


Every other week during June, July, and Aug all my roses get their foliage sprayed with the fish kelp but Lady Banks would only need it while in bloom.


Since you are in zone 9 I'm guessing it is April or May Lady Banks blooms. Since Lady Banks only blooms once she will not need the late summer fertilizing that Blaze will so skip round 3 as well as the July root drenches on her.


The RHS says to only feed her twice; early spring and early summer.


I use Sul-Po-Mag a naturally occurring mineral that has sulfur, potash, and magnesium but I have sandy soil that rain leaches nutrients and minerals from very quickly.


I will say Blaze is a fine rose. Now it is 6 years old and has a much larger reach than predicted. Mine goes over the arbor and into a tree on the other side. The bloom is attractive enough I have had painters come use it in compositions. When I plant a rose I put in 5 cups of fertilizer mixed into soil from the hole I've dug, to get it started strongly. Using organics I wont hurt it and it is able to establish root growth rapidly as the fertilizer works slowly. I got this from a fellow rose society member and I swear by it now.
First, remember that climbers may take a couple of years to really establish, so if they're new, don't push them. Roses are just like children; first, train them the way you want them to go. Second, feed them well; I use 1/2 strength Miracle Gro every 2 weeks in a hose sprayer. Finally, discipline them; roses need to be cut back regularly to keep the blooms coming.





If it's getting enough sun, it's not new, and you're doing the above, you'll have more blooms that you can count. Also, clmbers like to bloom from horizontal canes- so when you train them, don't let the canes just go up and up or you'll only get blooms at the top ends. Happy growing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
dry skin