Thursday, June 24, 2010

Should I cut back my very tall snapdragons? Will they re-bloom?

Please don't just say I need to dead-head them, because I'm not sure what that means EXACTLY. Where on the stalk should I cut them (if at all)? PLEASE HELP! Thanks so much!Should I cut back my very tall snapdragons? Will they re-bloom?
Yes, deadhead them as much as possible, as well as prune them back. They will resprout and reflower for the summer. Deadheading stops them going to seed, and wasting energy on seed production, rather than making new flowers.





Make angular cuts down to a leaf junction, below the first point where buds were- I typically ensure that the stem is fairly strong and thick, as this will allow your plant to branch, and be pruned/managed later on. Slant the cut slighly, away from the leaf junction. Any stem above the cut will eventually die back, so keep the cut reasonably close to the leaf node.





Hope this helps. Good luck! RobShould I cut back my very tall snapdragons? Will they re-bloom?
I cut them as far down as the spent seedpods go. They will send off side shoots that will bloom, and ultimately be healthier and bushier because of the deadheading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
dry skin