Friday, December 11, 2009

I am growing fresh catnip for my cat. It is starting to bloom now. What is the next step?

catnip is a perennial meaning it will come back every year....if you live i an area that gets frost before the 1st frost cut the catnip a couple inches above ground level...put the stalks with leaves on a screen to dry..after it has dried out...around a couple weeks or so crumble the leaves up and store in air tight bags.





you can also cut off stalks here and there during the growing season and follow directions above for drying...that way you will have a continuous supply of fresh catnip for your cat





when drying make sure you put the catnip is a place that the cat cannot get to or he/she will drag the plant off and have a field day...my 2 cats did this last year and i found it behind the couch all over the place..lol....took a good bit if vacuuming to get all the mashed leaves upI am growing fresh catnip for my cat. It is starting to bloom now. What is the next step?
Introduce your cat the the plant. With my cat... she wasn't interested in plain catnip, but once I crushed it between my fingers, she went crazy.





My dad's cat sleeps on his catnip garden!I am growing fresh catnip for my cat. It is starting to bloom now. What is the next step?
Put a cage around the catnip plants.


Cats have been known to completely destroy catnip beds...
Let it bloom, let some of the flowers dry, save some seeds, share some of the dried leaves and dried flowers with your cat.
Give some to the cat?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
dry skin