Saturday, December 5, 2009

Why didn't my bearded irises bloom?

I live in zone 7, and I planted these last fall. They all grew beautifully--tall spikey leaves--but only two bloomed. They get full sun, and I deeply water about twice each week. I know they're doing well as plants, I just want to see them bloom next year. Any suggestions?Why didn't my bearded irises bloom?
Take up all your irises and replant them. Check to see if you have Iris borers in the roots. Just squish them out if you do and dust your roots with a good powder insecticide. (use a plastic bag and just shake the rhizone with the power.) Replant by making a small mound and a small ditch on each side, over which you spread the roots. BE SURE you leave the crown of the root EXPOSED TO THE SUN. Do not allow grass or weeds to shade the crowns. Next year, you will have a bloom on every rhizone you plant. If your zone gets very cold, cover the planting with some leaves BUT remove them at the first sign of spring. Cut the leaves back in a fan ship every fall. Do not compost the leaves. Give them to the garbage guys or burn them. That kills the eggs of the iris borer.Why didn't my bearded irises bloom?
Bearded Irises like to be planted shallowly! Can you see some of the rhizome? Then they are at adequate level. If not they might be too deep. Deeply watering twice a week might not be enough. I had a client who watered a LOT(it was wet every time I was there). And she had these reblooming Irises that I divided twice a year they grew SO much. They bloomed like crazy. So, depending on your soil, maybe water 3 times a week. I have even seen them do well with half day sun. Any balanced fertilizer now through Spring would do.





Good luck :-)
seems like you over watered and the bulbs rotted or you didnt plant them deep enough and they froze.why not dig a few up and check. then again you may have planted them upside down.
I think you will have more blooms next year. You planted it last fall, right? If you planted it last spring or summer, you might've had more flowers this year. These guys need sometime for the roots to be established and get ready before blooming time, and in your case, it wasn't enough time for them to be ready. I know that the optimum time to transplant these irises is 6 weeks after the bloom, which is in the middle of summer usually, so they will have a plenty of time to be ready to get bloom next year. Also, you could try planting it in the light shade location. It can take full sun, but they don't want to be scorched, and you need to water more often as they love to drink water.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
dry skin