Friday, December 11, 2009

I have an orchid which is in bloom and...?

It is getting to big for the planter that I have it in how would I replant it? Should I wait for it to lose the flowers? How bigger of a planter should it go into? Please help me...I have an orchid which is in bloom and...?
If you really want to transplant it you should wait until it is finished blooming. Transplant into a pot one size larger than the current pot and be sure to use orchid potting medium, not regular potting soil. I have a few orchids and I have never transplanted them and they are doing fine.I have an orchid which is in bloom and...?
What type? I've been growing orchids for six years, and I really can't tell you whether to repot it and how unless I know what kind it is. If it's a Dendrobium, leave it alone. If it's a Cattleya relative, don't repot it unless the rhizome goes over the edge of the pot. A Phalaenopsis will want repotting, they do tend to like a little elbow room.


Get the right type of mix for your orchid: a fine bark for one with skinny roots, coarse bark for one with fat roots, and terrestrial mix for one with brown furry roots. Put some pebbles, broken ceramic pieces, or even styrofoam peanuts in the bottom of the new pot for drainage. Remove all the old mix from your orchid, trim off any dead roots, then hold it level in a slightly bigger pot with one hand while you fill in mix with the other hand. Make sure the mix is well packed. Write the date on the orchid's tag--if it doesn't have a tag, get one to write the date on. That way you'll know when it was last repotted several years down the line, and you'll know approximatley when it needs to be repotted again.
Orchids like being crouded. Unless you see roots coming out of the bottom or sides of the pot leave it alone. If you do see roots, wait until the bloom has faded then repot in a container twice the present one's size. Use bark or soil specific for epiphytes not regular potting soil. good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
dry skin